If you are having resolution issues in your macOS High Sierra installation in vmware, then you can fix it by either one of the following methods.
- Uninstall the current version of the vmware tools.
- Install the vmware tools from unlocker 208 meant for macOS Sierra.
- Disable SIP as mentioned here.
- Install SwitchResX from http://www.madrau.com.
- Open the SwitchResX preference pane from the System Preferences.
- Specify a startup resolution.
You can also change the resolution at any time using the icon from the Menu bar.