You will execute Ruby scripts(written in a text editor like Sublime Text) from the terminal or you can use a full fledged IDE like Aptana Studio.
Below are the steps to install Ruby and its related IDE on Ubuntu.
- Install Ruby using the command below.
sudo apt-get install ruby full
- Verify the ruby install by running the next command on the terminal.
You will get an output like: ruby 2.3.3p222 (2016-11-21) [x86_64-linux-gnu]
Install the IDE: Aptana Studio
- Download Aptana Studio for Linux from this site. A file like Aptana_Studio_3_Setup_Linux_x86_64_3.6.1.zip will be saved to your local Downloads folder.
- Create an Applications folder inside your home directory.
- Extract the contents of the above zip file to this Applications directory.
- Create a link to the file AptanaStudio3 and move it the the desktop.
- Double-click to launch Aptana Studio.