You will execute Ruby scripts(written in a text editor like Sublime Text) from the terminal or you can use a full fledged IDE like Aptana Studio.
Below are the steps to install Ruby and its related IDE on Ubuntu.
- Install Ruby using the command below.
sudo apt-get install ruby full
- Verify the ruby install by running the next command on the terminal.
You will get an output like: ruby 2.3.3p222 (2016-11-21) [x86_64-linux-gnu]
Install the IDE: Aptana Studio
- Download Aptana Studio for Linux from this site. A file like Aptana_Studio_3_Setup_Linux_x86_64_3.6.1.zip will be saved to your local Downloads folder.
- Create an Applications folder inside your home directory.
- Extract the contents of the above zip file to this Applications directory.
- Create a link to the file AptanaStudio3 and move it the the desktop.
- Double-click to launch Aptana Studio.
Here are the steps to install Ubuntu on Windows 10 using Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).
- On Windows 10, go to Settings.
- Type insider and press enter.
- Activate the developer mode.
- Still the Settings panel, type Windows Features. From the drop down, select Turn Windows Features on or off.
- Click on the Windows Start menu icon and type bash. Press Enter.
Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.
Distributions can be installed by visiting the Windows Store:
Press any key to continue…
- Once installed, click on Launch.
- Type a username and password.
- Once you get to the terminal prompt, type the following commands.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Now, the terminal bash can be run on Windows.
Now to install xfce, follow the following steps.
- On the bash terminal type the command below.
sudo apt install xfce4
- In case there are errors, rerun the same command to continue the installation.
- Edit the .bashrc file as follows.
- Once done, go to the website https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcxsrv/.
- Download the installer, the latest at this time is vcxsrv-126.96.36.199.0.installer.exe
- Double-click and install the program.
- Start XLaunch from the Windows desktop shortcut.
- Choose “One large window” option.
- Leave the default options and choose Disable access control.
- Click on Next and finish.
A black window will appear. Do not close it. This is the application window in which Ubuntu will run.
- Go back to the bash terminal and type the next command.
The XLaunch window will show the Ubuntu with the xfce Display Manager.
Note: I got some errors. So, I installed the xubuntu desktop with the command below.
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop -y
The application menu bar does not start.
Open the bash terminal inside ubuntu and type the command below.
Close the bash terminal.
Now you can use the Applications menu without any problems.